Thursday, April 2, 2009

GREEK!

This is not a difficult blog for me!  I write about my favorite shows all the time; however, I think I will try to pick one that I have not blogged about yet.  I think I will pick the show Greek, which airs on Monday nights on ABC Family.

Many people may think that Greek is a stupid teenage show that glorifies the fraternity/sorority system and perpetuates stereotypes associated with Greek life.  In a way, I guess it is.  However, it also demonstrates that people can learn a lot from the Greek system; how to deal with all types of people, how to remain diplomatic even when your emotions get in the way, how to deal with silly politics, how to manage but not micromanage, and in many ways, how to run a business. 

Greek is about the Cartwright siblings.  Casey Cartwright is a student at Cyprus Rhodes University and the ultimate sorority girl.  She has been a member of Zeta Beta Zeta, the best sorority on campus, since her freshman year and aspires to be the President.  She is dating the big man on campus, rich kid Evan Chambers, a member of Omega Chi (appropriately, the best fraternity on campus).  Casey has the seemingly perfect life; however, things are always complicated by her ex-boyfriend, Cappie (no last name, no first name, no one knows!), who is the President of Kappa Tau Gamma, the slacker fraternity.

Enter Rusty Cartwright, Casey's younger brother, a freshman at CRU.  He's super-smart and majoring in polymer science.  He wants to pledge a fraternity to help his social skills and reinvent his geeky image.  At first, Rusty is interested in Omega Chi like all the other freshman.  However, when he witnesses Evan cheating on his sister Casey, he decides to join Kappa Tau -- with Casey's ex-boyfriend. 

 The show explores the relationships between college students in a fairly realistic manner.  I wouldn't say that it is always an accurate depiction of Greek life, since I'm in a sorority.  However, the show gets many things right.

I love the show because it's fun and funny.  It's surprisingly addicting, and I am constantly rooting for Cappie and Casey to get back together!  

You should all give it a try, and don't immediately write it off.  It took me a good 4 episodes to really get hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment