Thursday, April 16, 2009

End-of-the-Yearitis

Remember how when you were in elementary school and it got to the end of may/early June?  All you wanted to do was go out for recess.  Even when it was raining or muddy and they made it a "black top only day" (those were mean) you wanted to go outside just to get out of the stupid classroom you had been in since September.  You dug out your bike and your jump ropes and your hula hoops only to have to stare at them forlornly while you were stuck inside doing your spelling homework or copying a report by hand word-for-word from the encyclopedia.  

I have that same feeling now.  I just want to be at home sitting on my deck reading a book and listening to the Bangles.  I want to be settled in at home, going to Matt's house sitting around the bonfire listening to sports games on the radio and drinking beer.  I want to dig out my bike and jump rope and hula hoop and be stupid with my sister.  

It's bittersweet, though, because these are my last two weeks living in the dorms at LTU.  They have been my home for the past three years and I have had some good times here.  I am definitely going to miss having my own bathroom, my own kitchen, and my own living room, which I have had for the past two years because I was on the bitch-brigade known as Housing Staff.  There's also the minor detail of having to fit a whole apartment's worth of stuff into my 10x12 bedroom at my house.  Hopefully my dad will invest in a shed for the backyard because most of my stuff won't fit above the garage and I don't want to crowd our basement with junk.  I guess we could use the attic but there's a whole lot of fiberglass insulation up there which scares the bejeezus out of me.

[side note:  I'm scared of insulation because one time my dad let me and my sister look at our attic when we were small but said we couldn't actually walk around because of the pink fluffy stuff, he told us if we fell through it we would be shredded into a thousand pieces.  WAY TO GO DAD.]

So my time as a resident of Southfield is coming to an end shortly.  I love summer but I'm going to be cooped up in an office and cooped up at a cashier's counter all summer until I leave for the U.K.  So we shall see how this all goes.


1 comment:

  1. Awe!!! You make me so sad.
    I keep forgetting about the UK adventure.
    You have to keep me posted and you definitely have to have a send off party.

    ReplyDelete