Monday, March 23, 2009

What Am I Watching?

I think a more appropriate question is what am I NOT watching? 

My favorite TV shows of all time are Gilmore Girls and The Office.  I don't understand why more people don't like them.  I own all the episodes on DVD -- well, I own the entire series of Gilmore Girls, but The Office is still on TV so I just have all the seasons besides the one that is on TV currently.  

Even though I have every episode of Gilmore Girls, I still watch it on ABC Family when it's on.  It's like a surprise -- which season will be showing?  Is Rory still at Chilton or has she moved on to Yale?  Is Lorelai at the Independence Inn or the Dragonfly?  Is Rory with Dean, Jess, or Logan?  Is Lorelai with Max, Chris or Luke?  

The Office is just, plain and simple, hilarious.  I know that some people don't get the comedy.  It's true that most of it is not "in-your-face", it's more in the awkwardness and the political incorrectness of Michael Scott and his number-two, Dwight Schrute.  Plus Jim is like, PERFECT, and I want to be Pam.  And Andy Bernard (The Nard Dogg) just makes the show that much better.

Another series I am watching currently is The Adventures of Pete and Pete.  It used to air on Nickelodeon in the early 90's and I absolutely adored it.  So when it came out on DVD of course I bought seasons 1 and 2.  It's a kid's sitcom, but it's so weird and quirky that sometimes it feels adult.  It's about two brothers, both named Pete Wrigley, their dad, their mom who has a metal plate in her head, Big Pete's best friend Ellen, Artie the Strongest Man in the World, Bus Driver Stu, and Little Pete's tattoo Petunia.  I can't explain it because it's just so strange, but I love it.  From Big Pete and Ellen's friendship turning into love on the marching band field, to Little Pete and his friends staying up for 11 days straight calling themselves "The Nightcrawlers" breaking a world record to murdering the school's mascot, a squid, with a discus. . . STRANGE.  But awesome.

I'm also a huge fan of Arrested Development, though I still need to get my hands on second half of the second season and the third season.  I have the first season but never got around to buying the second season and have been getting the disks on Netflix periodically.  But I love the Bluth family.  I think it's sad that it was cancelled -- the same fate that befell Freaks and Geeks; the network moved around a show it didn't particularly care for, so it couldn't gain a loyal following.  One of my favorite quotes ever is from Arrested Development:

Michael Bluth:  [talking to George-Michael about prison]  Scary?  No.  No, it's the opposite of scary.  It's like a carnival.  Without the half person on the skateboard that grabbed your knee to steady himself.

Other shows I enjoy are Jon & Kate + 8 (say what you may, but I LOVE Kate), GREEK, Little People Big World, Bones, and Girls Next Door (RIP).  I'm not a fan of reality TV in general, but I like the TLC shows because they are not trashy, and I like Girls Next Door because they don't try too hard!  And they are just funny.  

I don't know -- I love TV a lot.  It's an escape.  I always make time to veg out and watch some, because without some relaxation I would go crazy.  I need alone time with my fictional lives every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment