Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hogwarts Live

OK, so I know I make a big deal about HogwartsLive.com.  Basically, in a nutshell, it's a text-based Harry Potter RPG [role-playing game] in which you can chat with other players and kill creatures in the forest and gain experience and defeat Voldemort.  Why is it so addicting?  Because it's what I call an active time waster.

Facebook can only be so active.  Commenting on photos, statuses, walls, etc., you are only talking to one person at a time.  HogwartsLive is weird because there's a chat in which a lot of VERY different people participate -- and they think about the game in various ways.  Some people see it as a way to make friends.  I don't, because I have RL (real-life) friends.  In fact, 4 of my real-life friends are on HogwartsLive which I will refer to now as HL.  My goal is to get to 200+ Voldemort encounters and get a Ford Anglia as my mount.  But others don't see it that way.  I have the sneaking suspicion that many HL players have very few real-life friends and a disproportionate amount of HL friends.  My evidence is that people who have been on HL for a smaller amount of time than me have waaaaay more Voldemort Encounters than I do, and seem to take HL "drama" much more seriously than I do.  This can only be because they are on a crazy amount more time than me, because I am on a decent amount and I rarely chat, I usually just fight in the forest.

However, I am relatively hated on HL because of the way I chat.  I make fun of almost everyone on there because of how seriously they take the drama.  I like to cause the drama because it's funny as hell.  If I am out of forest fights and have nothing else to do, I will be contrary to anything anyone says on HL just to start a fight.

Because what is the fun in an online RPG if everyone loves each other?

2 comments:

  1. Is there a 20 sided die that goes along with this game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dice. At least none that you can see. It's a browser-based RPG non a pen and paper one.

    ReplyDelete