Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Glass Office

In the summer I work at my city's pool.  The job itself is very boring -- I'm a cashier and literally, I answer the phone and take people's money and don't let people swim without a bathing suit.  Because, you know, it makes perfect sense to come to a public pool WITHOUT a bathing suit.

Anyhow, resulting from our boredom, we decided to make our own version of The Office.  It took me this long to sit down and figure out how to convert the files from .wmv to .mov, but I succeeded finally and threw them together on Final Cut Express.  They are not what I would call good, because of limited time and resources, but I would call them entertaining.






I hope you enjoy these.  However, if you have never seen/don't like "The Office" you might not understand the humor and therefore will not find it funny.  

I should explain the title.  It is called "The Glass Office" because the main office where our bosses work is enclosed in glass so they can see the entire pool deck.  We call it the Glass Office.  So, yeah.  That's that.

I should explain that some events are for real.  Kathy really is our boss.  The bird trapped in the building was real, and Kathy seriously did name it Morgan Freebird and try to lure it out with a crumbled up ice cream cone.  I have about 15 minutes of footage of this.  How lucky was I that I had the camera right next to me when a stupid bird flew in the door?  The audio for that part is actually really funny because my sister starts screaming at Kathy not to put the cone on the floor because my sister is the one who will have to sweep it up, but it doesn't fit with the overall tone of the show so I had to do VO.

But the rest of it Kathy and I did write.  On some occasions we sat in the girls' locker room and tried to think of the funniest situations that could possibly happen and they all had to do with Vince, the pool supervisor, who we all agreed would not want to take part in this endeavor.  So we included him in a controversial drawing.  

I should also point out that almost all of this footage was shot when there were no swimmers or only 2 or 3 swimmers.  We would never purposely put people in danger for the sake of a movie.  The only exceptions are scenes that Kathy is not in.  I shot many of my talking heads during peak hours, but since I see everyone that comes in and out and am not responsible for saving lives, I figured it was okay.  There are many occasions where we stayed after hours and shot scenes off the clock just because we genuinely loved it!

I probably won't work there again this summer because I have to get a "real job", but I will show up there to shoot season 2 for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment