Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sisters, goals, and lameness.

So the summer before my sophomore of college, my sister started dating one of my friends from high school.  Now, this particular friend was not a close one, it was more that we had a mutual friend that we were both close to, but we hung out a lot anyway.  I thought it was weird.  But I tried to look past it.  That is, until my friends started inviting her over or calling her to go out to the movies and whatnot.  Once, memorably, my friend T called me to meet them at Coney Island, I get there and there is Nicole, sitting right between C and D.  

I told D that I didn't like it -- it didn't feel right to show up at a party and your 17-year-old sister is there, hanging out with your friends.  D basically told me I needed to get over it.  There was a huge fight and nothing has been the same since.  I don't go home very often anymore because my sister has taken my place in the old group of friends.

I guess I don't care all that much.  They're all still pretty much stuck in high school.  My hometown does that to people.  And honestly, after I turned 21 getting hammered has kind of lost its appeal to me.  Sure, I love my beer, I like going to bars, and I'm totally not against having fun once in a while, but I don't go to a hall party with a bunch of 16 year olds with the intention of getting falling-down-drunk anymore.  I did that, it was fun, I'm over it.

I have goals.  I know vaguely what I'm doing after college.  I'm going to England.  I'm going SOMEWHERE.  I honestly don't think the point of college is to hang out with the same people you have hung out with since you were 15, taking classes for no reason, bumming around your hometown hoping to score a good job at Best Buy or whatever.

I think that going to college is about meeting new people, trying new things, finding out what you love and what you hate.  Which I tried to do, even though I only went 20 minutes away from my hometown.  The only reason I didn't go farther away is because of my family.  I think I did a pretty good job of making new friends and meeting new people.

This is just a rant, I guess.  I don't want to come off as elitist or anything, it's just that it sucks that I'm excluded from a group of people who look like they're going nowhere.  They could surprise me--most of them are smart, they just lack motivation or "purpose" I guess.

The only line I disagree with from High School Musical 3:  "High school, goes on forEVER MORE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment