Monday, February 16, 2009

Return from Minnesooooota

Wow, I've been a total deadbeat about school lately.  It's not QUITE my fault, because this weekend sort of prevented any scholarly endeavors.  I had to miss Rhetoric (*tear*) and TV Writing for the long treacherous 11-hour drive to the Twin Cities of Minnesooota.  Be prepared for this LONG blog, and don't be surprised if you read some upper-Midwest vernacular here.  It was a weekend of cultural immersion.

My BFFF Katie's sister Christie got married on Saturday, which most of you know was Valentine's Day.  I LOVE the reason they picked Valentine's Day.  It's because Christie and her now-husband Jason hate the holiday and think it's overrated, so they decided to get married that day so they will forever have a reason to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Anywho, Katie, her boyfriend Matt and I made the long journey and arrived in Maplewood at about 12:30am their time, 1:30am our time.  We basically went right to bed, but the whole family stayed up to welcome us, and Christie and Jason even stayed over with their freaking CUTE beagle puppy Bella.  So we just went to bed and yeah, it was a divine night's sleep.

Friday we woke up pretty early and ate, then took off for errands.  If you love Target, you NEED to go to a Minnesota Target.  They are about 13 times better than any Michigan Target.  I could totally live in one.  They are so clean and bright and huge, they have food marts and everything.  Fantastic.  Then Katie and her family took off for the rehearsal, and Matt and I stayed home and set up the house for the rehearsal dinner.  If you know me and Matt, it was a very large feat for us to accomplish something together.  Though we are extremely good friends, we tend to bicker.  But we were successful.  Debbie (Katie's mom) and Annie (one of Katie's three sisters) are EXTREMELY good cooks and made a crazy Mexican fiesta dinner.  It was amazing.  Then we had a beer and of course went to bed.  We were all very lazy this weekend and once it hit 9pm we were all about bed.

Saturday morning was super lazy for me.  All the girls took off to get their hair and nails done bright and early, and all the boys went to set up the reception hall, so little ole' Janelle was left to hold down the fort all by herself.  It was kind of nice.  There are 3.5 baths and 5 bedrooms so there is plenty of space, but it was nice to just take a shower without asking anyone else if they needed it.  I did some Editing homework and called my parents and my boyfriend (poor kid was abandoned on Valentine's Day -- I don't think he minded much, haha).  Then I did my hair and got into my dress.  So I was totally ready by 1pm when everyone got back, and Christie and Debbie were ready to go the church so I went with them to help out.

Christie was so relaxed it was nuts.  I asked her how she was so calm, and she said, "Well, everything is basically done and I have so many helpers I don't need to do much.  And Jason and I are basically already married so I'm not nervous at all."

I was in awe.  Plus, she looked freakin' BEAUTIFUL in her $240 dress.  Honestly, who needs to spend more than that?  It was gorgeous and perfect for her.

Debbie left Christie and I there and went to get Grandma Oaky, and we kind of just sat there doing nothing.  Then all the bridal party showed up and Christie got into her dress, I was on some picture duty, I pinned some sashes and sprayed some hairspray, basically just assisted with whatever.  Then Matt and I disappeared into the church pews to watch them take their pictures.  Really, we watched 40 Year Old Virgin on Sarah's (the youngest of Katie's sisters) iPod.  

Then the wedding.  It was so pretty!  The pastor was this woman that had the THICKEST accent I have ever heard and I could not stop laughing.  "In the cooold Minnesoooota winter, we all have suuuuper thick ley-ers of clooothing on!"  I love it.  I caught myself saying "ah-some" (awesome) later that evening.  And I know I said "gooo" instead of just "go".

After the wedding I met my "date", Kenny.  Basically he's just Christie's friend from school that didn't bring a date so she said he was my date.  He looks like Michael Cera, no joke, and he knew what Anne of Green Gables was when Katie referenced it.  

We headed over to the reception hall which was so funny.  If you know Christie and Jason, they are basically classy hicks.  Jason is from the Green Bay, WI area and Christie is obviously from the Twin Cities.  So the reception was catered by Famous Daves on paper plates with plastic silverware and solo cups.  It was so amazing.  Katie said she never felt so classy eating ribs in her life, in her elegant black and green bridesmaid gown with fancy jewelry on.  Plus there was an open bar.  SCORE!  I sat with Matt, Kenny, Sarah's boyfriend Johnny, and Sarah's roommate Gina.  We were the fun table.

I danced with Scott (Katie's dad) for about 3 dances!  He said Debbie was too busy "chattin' it up"; however, she was all about dancing when "Baby Got Back" came on.  I also swing-danced with Katie's cousin Aaron who looks JUST LIKE JAKE GYLLENHAAL.  I have to friend him on Facebook and show you all a picture of him.  Identical twins, I swear it.  So I was at a wedding with Michael Cera and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Katie and I agreed that we got just the right amount of drunk.  Enough to be a little crazy on and dance floor, but not enough to prevent us from cleaning up and helping out.  I escaped with Sarah and Johnny and immediately went to bed.  I don't even think Katie was home -- I passed out and woke up in the morning and she was next to me.  

Next morning was the present opening party.  We just sat around, had cake and ribs for breakfast, and watched Christie and Jason open their presents.  I must say that she loved the Harry Potter books that Matt and I got her, and Jason appreciated the manly gift of a football.

Then it was just laziness.  We watched movies, then drank wine and played the world's HARDEST game of electronic Trivial Pursuit.  Christie swears she pressed "easy" but we were all very discouraged, so much so that Nick (Annie's fiance) suggested that the first team to get a question right would win.  The girls won.  Holla!

All in all it was a crazy, fun, yet unproductive weekend.  Now I have to plunge back into the swing of things and make up all the schoolwork I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment