Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar awesomeness

Everything I write about on here has to do with movies or TV, it seems.  Oh well.  I'm over it.

I watched The Oscars tonight, which for me is more important than my birthday.  I don't know, it's just an awesome night for me.  I get so excited for people I don't even know.  

Basically, I was crying when Heath Ledger won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in The Dark Knight.  My relationship with Heath spans back to his work in a small little movie called 10 Things I Hate About You.  My friend Laura and I were totally obsessed with him.  We made pictures collages of him on our bedroom walls and watched A Knight's Tale and The Patriot every time we hung out, which was pretty much every weekend.  Heath holds a special place in my heart, and even though Laura is far away at Grand Valley I text messaged her tonight and we shared our mutual pain and elation.

I also was close to tears during the montage of Academy members who died this past year.  I was doing fine until Paul Newman came up.  My infatuation with Paul Newman began when my mom forced me to watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid when I was 9 years old.  After the movie was over, legend has it that I turned to my mom and said, "Can I marry Butch Cassidy?"  I don't remember this, but my mother swears it happened.  Anyway, if anyone were to be cryogenically frozen, my vote would have gone for Paul Newman in 1969. That way he could be unfrozen when I am 30 or 40 and we could fall in love and get married.  It would totally happen!  I cried my eyes out when that montage fell to Paul Newman.

I was totally excited that Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens did a musical number with Hugh Jackman.  Okay, I LOVE HUGH JACKMAN.  But when the whole "songs-from-famous-musicals" medley -- even after Hugh and Beyonce sang Grease -- turned to Zac and Vanessa singing High School Musical 3 songs, I thought I would die from happiness.  Plus, for once in her life, Beyonce did not oversing.  She was fantastic, which is something I can't usually say without gagging.  Although I wish they would have given Zac and Vanessa, along with Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper, more singing time.  They mostly just stood there.

Since I'm such a sissy, I also cried when Kate Winslet won her Best Actress Oscar.  Truthfully, I would have been happy if any of them had won (besides the one I had never heard of -- Melissa Leo for Frozen River -- sorry, chica, I just don't know you).  I'm glad it was Kate, though.  She's long overdue, and I'm so over Meryl Streep.

I'm glad Sean Penn won for Milk for only one reason -- Lucas Grabeel from High School Musical and James Franco were in that movie.  I haven't seen it yet.

And as for Best Picture -- the only one I have seen that was nominated is Benjamin Button, which I thought was amazing.  But now I think I have to see Slumdog Millionaire!

Peace, love and movies!

2 comments:

  1. Well, finally everyone want to see Slumdog Millionaire. I wanted to see it since it came out and everyone refused to accompany me. Let me know you who like it, you will probably get there before me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big Heath Ledger fan also and I must say that 10 Things I Hate About is one of my favorite teen/chick flicks.

    ReplyDelete