Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Great Circus Mystery

Teenager finally beats Sega game after 12 years

Nicole O'Hara will be the first to tell you: it's been a long and treacherous road.

It all started at the tender age of 6, when the now 18-year-old Nicole received a Sega Genesis for Christmas.

"It was our favorite Christmas present for many, many years afterward," Nicole says.  "We all had our favorite games: Dad had Mickey Mania, Mom had Wheel of Fortune, my sister had Toy Story . . . but for me, it was The Great Circus Mystery."

Nicole watched her older sister Janelle beat The Great Circus Mystery alone many times, and when the two small girls played it 2-player, Nicole got to experience the thrill of beating the game.  However, Nicole could never beat it alone.

"I can't even describe how hard I tried," Nicole sighs, choking up a little.  "Even when I broke my arm when I was 9, I asked the doctor: 'can I still play Sega?'  I tell you, I was obsessed.  Watching Janelle beat the game twice a day like it was a piece of cake really drove me nuts."

The Great Circus Mystery is a Mickey and Minnie Mouse game in which the protagonists travel through many worlds (jungle, caves, haunted house, ice world, the castle, etc.) in order to solve the mystery of the disappearing circus and defeat the villain, Baron Pete.

Periodically, throughout the tumultuous years of middle school and high school, Nicole would hole up in her room and try to focus her negative energy on destroying evil Baron Pete, to no avail.

"I think that if I would have beaten Baron Pete in middle school, I wouldn't have felt so much teen angst," she claims, though she's half-joking.  "We never had another gaming system, either.  We really aren't video game people, but Sega was a special part of our childhood."

And adulthood, apparently.  Over this past Christmas break, Janelle, now 21, brought Sega home from college.  After Nicole and Janelle successfully beat the game, Janelle challenged her sister to beat it by herself.

Nicole was up to the challenge.  "It was a big deal.  My parents sat down and watched it.  My sister popped popcorn.  I had a feeling that this was the day."

Ignoring the jeers of her father and sister, and feeling heartened by the continued support of her mother, Nicole triumphed over all the bosses and declared victory over evil Baron Pete.

"It was a great feeling!" Nicole exclaims, flashing a huge grin.  "I imagine that it feels something like when you get out of prison after 12 years.  Well, maybe not.  But I feel like I have finally busted out of my Sega-induced prison."

For the record, at the time of victory, Minnie Mouse had 2 out of 7 lives and 3 out of 7 hitpoints left.

Janelle is proud of her little sister.  "It got a little draining, watching her suck so bad for all those years," she says.  "It was as much a victory for us as it was for her."

3 comments:

  1. Quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've read all day :) Seriously - thanks for the chuckles! and GOOOO Nik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh....the video game generation. Good read Janelle. Your last line is hilarious "It got little draining, watching her suck so bad for all those years." I agree with Karin, Gooooooo Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative. Nice use of the interview.

    ReplyDelete