Sunday, March 7, 2010

School-ish update and me getting way too excited about celebrities

Can I just say that I'm not loving real school. I say real school because to me Harlaxton was fake school. Not that it wasn't difficult -- it was much more difficult than any class I've ever taken at LTU besides maybe Calc 2 or University Chem. It's just that it was so much easier to like school when you got to wake up, throw on your sweatpants, walk a few feet, sit in a sunny room full of creepy cherubs and hardwood floors and rolling green hills outside and learn about the awesomeness that is British history and then take off to Lincoln and London to see it all. I honestly didn't really mind doing homework for British Studies or Renaissance History. POLITICS is another story.

Anyway, I'll go class-by-class I suppose.

1) Introduction to Film Production -- This is a Media Comm elective that I'm pretty much only taking because I didn't want to wake up at 8am on Fridays for Cinematography. It's okay. Since our school doesn't have much in the way of equipment, we just set stuff up in class and learn how to be a PA. We are shooting a re-creation of the witch village scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail after spring break which should be fairly cool.

2) Collaborative Communication for Leaders -- TEAMWORK class. So naturally, I dislike it. However, because we're actively learning (doing activities, watching movies, presentations, etc.) the class goes by quickly. I really despise it though. Group work, while I understand it is necessary, is particularly difficult for me because I always feel like I have to pick up the slack for everyone else. My past overachieving tendencies always emerge in these situations and I hate it.

3) Screenwriting -- This class is okay. It's nice because all we do is read the book, write a script, read it out loud and critique it. But sometimes I get the feeling that my teacher doesn't quite know what she's talking about. I learn more from the book and the other students' critiques. The teacher always wants me to make my stories more fantastical and weird and I never want to do what she tells me to. She grates on my nerves sometimes. However, I understand that a lot of things bother me.

4) Directed Study -- love it! (And not just because Jennie reads my blog). I get to do things that I want to do. My next project is re-creating a scene from Romeo and Juliet for the International Shakespeare Film Festival. So that will be fun!!!

I am going to watch The Oscars tonight, and this is the only year that I have not seen ONE Best Picture nominee. Not even UP. I know! Please don't get mad! I am very disappointed in myself. In my defense, I was out of the country while most of the Best Picture nominees were being released. No excuse. So now I'm going to use the awards show to gauge what movies I should watch. And, DUH, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin are hosting. Wherever they are, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment