Friday, February 11, 2011

Why I Love My Family (and Antarctica)

I make my parents watch Jeopardy with me whenever I'm home. Tonight, there was the category
"Way Down South in South Georgia". It was a video category showcasing penguins, reindeer, elephant seals, etc. that live on the Antarctic island of South Georgia. We watch video of a naturalist in cold weather clothing explaining all these things about Antarctica.

The last question was a question about my man crush Ernest Shackleton. It is at this point that my father, who is deathly ill with the flu, says, "Where the hell is South Georgia?"

I said, "Antarctica."

He said, "Oh, damn, I thought they were talking about the United States."

He just sat there in a fevered stupor thinking that the people on Jeopardy were telling him that penguins, seals, reindeer, and Ernest Shackleton lived in south Georgia, USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment