Sunday, February 21, 2010

Rome - still retroactively

I'm ridiculous. I did nothing for about a month and I still couldn't manage to keep up on this. And now that I actually have things to do, of course I'm going to procrastinate and update.



Italy. I was ridiculously tired, obviously. I passed out on the coach almost immediately, but woke up when Kingsley got on the PA and screamed about how we were supposed to get off the coach about an hour before we even got to Heathrow. Then, once we disembarked, we had to listen to a speech about how to do passport check-in after months of traveling in Europe. Annoyance. I passed out sitting up in a chair. Luckily I was surrounded by strapping boys that hopefully would have fought for me had someone attempted to mug me. Meaning Daniel and Waner so maybe not. Anyway, the flight was fine, I sat by Cesilie and we talked about how crappy Politics is and how Ripple almost made her throw up.

It was a real fiasco getting off the bus in Rome, we blocked traffic and got honked at. The hotel. OH MY LORD IN HEAVEN Alex and I were in a renovated closet. The beds were cots that were an inch apart. A creepy picture of Mona Lisa was on the wall. The ceiling was partially open and you could see the duct work. There was no shower; however in the bathroom there was a shower head and a drain on the floor, so you could pee ands shower at the same time. The boys' room was AWESOME (by comparison), so I showered in there. Oh, and on the second morning Alex's bed collapsed.

Rome itself was fantastic though. The first night we bought wine and watched Superbad because it was pretty late by the time we got there. The next day we went to Vatican City, St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican Museum . . . I saw the Sistine Chapel and took illegal photos in there! Yes, that makes me a badass, in case you were wondering. We then made our way to the Spanish Steps - me being uneducated I don't really know why they are important. However, they are beautiful. And full of men dressed up in Roman warrior costumes asking 10 Euro for a photo with them. We made our way to the Trevi Fountain, ate gelato, and made our way back to the hotel to get ready for the Colosseum Pub Crawl. (Yes, I went on the Colosseum Pub Crawl before I even went to the Colosseum.)

That was awesome. I wore the purple tights, so of course it was a great night. 20 Euro got us a t-shirt, free drinks for an hour at the first bar, pizza, and a shot at every subsequent bar. Honestly, the T-shirt was the best part. I love it so much. Anyway, we met some Australians and Andy got some Australian ass. I was pretty drunk by the time we left that place, and at the second place I had the shot and two beers so I was fairly incoherent. However, I went over the edge when I took my first ever shot of absinthe. Needless to say, I do not remember the rest of the night. I vaguely remember Alex getting on KB's shoulders as we walked to another bar, crowding on the bus, and me yelling "I'm a badass" about 25 times. I don't think I was really that sloppy, just incapable of knowing what I was doing. I woke up in my bed in pajamas and I had brushed my teeth and put my hair up, so at least while I am blackout drunk I still have excellent personal hygiene skills.

The next morning I found out that Andy made out with the Australian chick for about an hour and got so drunk he started throwing up, so Chris and Mandie took care of him. I guess he almost puked in a cab and the cab driver pushed him out. And then he locked himself in the bathroom and they had to get the manager of the hotel to come and get him out. And then he walked out of the bathroom at about 4am and said, "Hey guys, I thought we were going to party tonight?" to which Chris yelled back, "ANDY THE PARTY ENDED THREE HOURS AGO!!"

The next morning, surprisingly, I felt fine. We went to the Colosseum which was so great. We hung out there and just talked for about two hours, it was so crazy to think of everything that had happened there. There are lots of cats that live there, and if I was a cat I can't think of a better place to live than the Colosseum. Besides maybe with me. After the Colosseum we made our way to the Palatino which was, again, gorgeous. There were some great views of the city. We signed a lime and threw it down into the ruins for some reasons. We just wanted to leave our mark.

More gelato as we made our way to the Pantheon. That was beautiful. Daniel fell asleep there cuddling the Marmot, it was precious. If I remember correctly, we took it easy that night since we were leaving for Florence in the AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment