Saturday, August 29, 2009

My continually updated British slang post

Just in case you are all wondering, sometimes it's REALLY hard to figure out what people are saying here.  Here are just a few of the slang terms I've learned (learnt!) so just in case any of you decide to pick up and travel here, you'll have a better head start than I did.  I'll update it as I learn more.


1.  line = queue (pronounced "q")
2.  curling iron = styling tongs
3.  truck = lorry
4.  bathroom = loo /w.c. /toilet
5.  elevator = lift
6.  diapers = nappies 
7.  hello / goodbye / thank you / you're welcome / anything pleasant = cheers 
8.  p = pence
9.  bus = coach
10.  bar = pub
11.  trash can = rubbish bin
12.  insane = batty
13.  for rent = to let
14.  apartment = flat
15.  pissed = drunk
16.  stroller = pushchair
17.  exit = way out
18.  awesome = brilliant
19.  subway = tube / underground

1 comment:

  1. apartment = flat
    pissed = drunk

    2, 3, and 6 are news to me.

    :-D

    --Rich T

    ReplyDelete