Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Laundry Diving and various other childhood pasttimes

I noticed that one of my interests is Laundry Diving, and I realize that not everyone might know what that is.

It's the rather disgusting habit of letting the laundry pile up so long that it resembles a mountain, and then jumping in it while playing some music, like Lawrence Welk or Jackson Browne or some cheery Bob Dylan song (I realize there aren't many).  Now, the disgusting factor is lessened when it's only your own clothes and there's no underwear.  I have a separate hamper for "delicates" so that's not the issue.  But I own so many sweatshirts and sweatpants and fleece articles of clothing that it's actually very warm and comforting to just jump into a pile of dirty clothes.

I guess you could do it with clean clothes, but your body would probably just make them dirty.  So in a way, it's less gross if you just jump into your dirty clothes with your dirty body, because it's less work (you don't have to re-wash clean clothes).

It was also a lot easier when I was younger, like 6 or 7, because you needed less clothes for it to be a huge mound.  And the music was usually my mom's Dirty Dancing soundtrack cassette tape, or The Best of the 50s with Chubby Checker and The Dixie Cups. 

Speaking of things I used to do when I was younger, the best thing was when my mom would let us take all of the bedding besides the fitted sheet off of her bed, and my sister and I would just do somersaults and play charades and play this weird game called "Bunny/Wild" that I can't even begin to explain, it's so weird and pointless.  Or, my sister and my cousin Karli and I would pretend we were figure skaters in our basement, only we had rollerblades and let's face it, we could barely even stand on them.

We used to play Little Women, and I would make Nikki be Amy and fall through the ice, or I would make her be Beth and die.  Laurie was always invisible, sadly, but in my mind he was Christian Bale.  And we never mentioned Professor Bhaer because as my sister says, "he's an ugly hog".  We used to play Little House on the Prairie, too, complete with flannel pajamas, a well, and an iron to wrap in a towel and put at the foot of the bed to keep our feet warm.  I was always Laura, of course, and Nikki was Carrie.  Although sometimes, she would get ambitious, and be Mary and keep her eyes closed for the whole time, because Mary was blind.

We used to play Homeless.  No joke.  We had a big cardboard box my dad brought home from work, and that was our house, complete with newspaper blankets, and we would dress in all this random winter clothing, and we would walk around with signs and cups for donations, and sometimes we would use an old hatbox for donations and pretend we were playing guitar and singing.  We also would pretend to warm our hands in the trash can.  Only in Detroit would little girls play that game.

There were also the various movies and books, like Pippi Longstocking, Pocahontas, Peter Pan (reallllly hard because we can't fly), Babysitters' Club, The Boxcar Children, Oliver Twist (okay, so we didn't really 'play' that.  We would just take our cereal bowls to Dad and say, "Please, sir, may I have some more?").  We acted out Home Alone by sledding down our outside steps like Kevin did in the movie, only we only had 3 steps so it was kind of anti-climactic.  And there's a wall about five feet in front of the foot of our basement stairs, so that was ruled "too dangerous".

One of the best was Guts, that old game show on Nickelodeon.  We had these cardboard bricks and a bigwheel, and we would make an obstacle course in the basement and the final stretch was running the bigwheel through the bricks, just like they did on the show.  We would yell "Do-do-do Do you have it, GUTS?!"

We tried to act out the board game Clue, but my mom got mad when I used a piece of PVC as a lead pipe and clocked Nikki over the head with it.  My argument ("But she's Colonel Mustard and I'm Mrs. White and I HAVE TO kill her in the library!") was rendered invalid.

In our pool, we would play "Beanie Babies", which means that you just picked a Beanie Baby that was a marine animal and as we did a whirlpool, if someone started to get sucked into the vortex the others would yell, "Flash the dolphin!  I won't quit you!" and you dragged them out.  We played mermaids, and the foam noodles were our sea horses.  We even invented a game similar to Quidditch (this was before I became a Potterhead) in which the mermaids rode the sea horses and had to score points by shooting a volleyball into an inner tube.  We called it something like Herkimon or some gibberish word.

There was the Little Mermaid phase, where we would slosh all the water out of the bath tub and stick "dinglehoppers" (forks) into the couch cushions, much to the dismay of my parents, who sat on them on more than one occasion.  We did frequently get yelled at for brushing our hair with forks.

All in all, my childhood was fun and happy, if slightly bizarre due to my HYPERactive imagination. 


1 comment:

  1. Well... to top your beanie babies and sea horses game... me and Laura used to play Sumo-Wrestling in our pool. And if I recall correctly, you might have been there on more than one occasion. We also used to play gymnastics and guts.. using noodles as uneven bars for gymnastics. For guts, we used a raft to paddle across the "wave" pool, that of course we made ourselves.

    haha, good times.

    Sarah =)

    ReplyDelete