Thursday, October 29, 2009

Oxford, Bath, and Stonehenge


Wow, loyal readers, I'm really sorry I've been so suck-tastic at blogging lately.  Truth be told, I'm just so busy/tired/lazy to do it, so here goes nothing!

The weekend of the 9th-10th-11th I went to Oxford, Bath and Stonehenge.  It was a really laid-back trip.  Oxford is a pretty cool place, the best part about it was Christchurch College which is where . . . yep . . . HARRY POTTER was filmed!  So awesome.  The other super cool thing about Oxford was Alice's Shop, because Lewis Carroll wrote a large chunk of Alice in Wonderland in Oxford.  They had some really cool stuff -- I bought some postcards and a copy of the book.  I sent Matt a postcard of the thingee smoking a hookah, which he loved.

We ate at a cute cafe where the guy gave me a free cookie for no reason, then hit up the bus again to go to Bath.  Bath is a really REALLY beautiful town, but our hostel was at the very top of Bathwick Hill which is a BEE-YOTCH to climb.  Sweating, panting, calves aching, the whole shebang.  It was far away from the center of town where all the cool stuff is, but we braved the hill and went to a cheap and awesome bar for dinner.  We were all pretty exhausted, though, and went to bed fairly early that night.

Saturday was nice -- we slept in for the first time in weeks!  Six girls getting ready in one hostel room was a challege, but I'm pretty laid back so I just let the girls hog the mirror and brushed my teeth and called it a day.  We set off down the freaking hill but soon split up because some people wanted to go shopping and some wanted to see sights (like me).  So me, Jessica, Danielle, and Alex went to the Jane Austen center which was so cool, I bought Northanger Abbey and Sense and Sensibility as well as a Colin Firth card for Katie.

Then we basically just wandered around, shopped a bit, went back to the hostel and took a nap.  We didn't feel like getting ready and going out, because that would entail walking ALL THE WAY there and back again, so we ended up in the hostel bar.  Unfortunately, they closed that at 9:30pm. REALLY?  So somehow I ended up at a pub with the Dean of Students (Ed), Alex, Matt and Danielle.  I got . . . intoxicated  . . . and when we woke up the next morning at 8am to go to the Roman baths let's just say I still felt it.

The baths were amazing!  The Roman stuff still kills me.  They were so advanced, and then civilization kind of reverted . . . I don't know, it's just very interesting.

I got to sleep on the bus on the way to Stonehenge so needless to say I was in MUCH better shape for that one.  It really is just a circle of rocks, but it's hard to explain how fascinating it is.  The stones were transported from Wales, aligned perfectly with the solstices, human remains were found in the Y and Z holes, and I'm standing there thousands of years later looking at it.  I wish you could get close to it, though.  I wanted to pull a Claire and get transported back in time to find my Jamie.  (Any Outlander fans here?  No?)

All in all it was a great weekend, pretty laid back but well worth it!

1 comment:

  1. The performance sounds awesome. I wouldn't expect anything less from you Janelle. I am glad you are able to have such an adventure.

    ReplyDelete